Dhal Puri roti is a very popular in Trinidad and Tobago and is eaten with curry. It takes a little while to make but it is well worth it. However if you don't want to make your own then order online from Trini Roti Shack or call Trini Caribbean Catering on 0203 544 3558 to place an order.
- 1 cup split peas
- 1/2 tsp. saffron powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. geera
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup oil water for kneading
1. Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
2. Knead flour to a soft dough.
3. Rub oil over the dough.
4. Make dough into 6 or 8 balls (loyas) according to the size of the tawah / frying pan. Leave to rest.
5. Boil the split peas with saffron, salt and a clove of garlic and drain.
6. Grind the split peas with a small hot pepper and 2 cloves of garlic. You can use a blender or food processor to do this.
7. Add oil and salt to taste. Mix well and set aside.
9. Open each ball of dough and place in the centre 2-3 tablespoons of the split peas filling.
10. Pull the sides over and close up. Turn over and leave to rest.
11. Roll out the dough.
12. Roll out the filled dough very thinly.
13. Heat tawah or large frying pan on a medium heat.
13. Place the roti on tawah / frying pan.
14. Grease the top, cook on one side, turn over, and cook on the other side.
15. Be sure to press the edges of the roti
16. When the dhal puri starts to turn brown it is ready. Fold in half and serve